Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Secret Life of an American Teenager

We just have basic cable in our household, so I would say at least a good 75% of the time I'm watching TV, it is on ABC Family. I still think of it as the "Family Channel" as it was called years ago before all the different buy outs. I liked the Family Channel then, and I like it now even with all the changes. Something that is pretty new in recent years is that they are now producing original movies & television series. To me when I think "Family".. I think it should mean that it is "Safe for all ages." Instead I find that many of the shows and movies deal with issues that even adults find difficult. Last week, the newest show to be added to the ranks of ABC family was "The Secret Life of an American Teenager." I have to say that I really enjoy this show (.. but then I tend to like shows geared towards younger kids..) It's dealing with some very tough life & sexual issues. The main character is a 15 year old girl named Amy. When we pick up with the show she is taking a pregnancy test and has just found out that she is pregnant. Amy is not the only one on the show dealing with hard issues though. Ricky (aka- the baby's daddy) is shown talking with a counselor about his own "conquest" issues regarding females... and we find out that he was sexually abused by his father before being placed in foster care. Another character, Grace, has just accepted a promise ring from her parents, agreeing not to have sex until she's married. Her boyfriend does not take this very well... he seems to be having trouble dealing with his raging teenage-boy hormones. There is a lot more going on besides this. I don't know how likely it is, but I'm hoping that maybe a little education of our American Teenagers will happen along with entertainment.

No comments: