Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Ever blown up the engine on your car?

.. I have. On the interestate even. More later.

ETA: I just realized I didn't come back and update this! On my way home from work, I noticed I was having trouble with my airconditioner keeping the car cool. I had even called Randy and asked if he would look at it when I got home. I was driving along with the radio off when I thought I heard noise like the radio. I realized I was having trouble keeping up speed, so got into the slow lane as soon as I could. It was less than a minute before I had lost speed almost entirely. I eased to the side, and there was a (small) explosion with white smoke. I kept coasting as long as I could, and made it just short of the 3/4 mile sign to my exit. A nice gentleman in the Air National Guard who was on his way home pulled over almost immediately. He saw what had happened and helped Avery & me get over the railing so we wouldn't be right on the interstate while we waited on Randy to come. (on a side note, those signs on the side of the interstate? HUGE! Much larger than they seem while you are driving.) Fortunately Randy was just a few miles away and came and picked us up. It seems I didn't blow up the ENTIRE engine.. just the head gaskets? (Nope, don't know what that means, but thats what Randy tells me). I have a 10 year power train warranty on my car (a 2001), so Randy is having it towed to the dealership on Friday. Thank God that it turned out the way it did!

No comments: